Thursday 19 May 2011

Office Desks

This post is going to be all about office desks! I think that one of the most important things in an office is the desk because depending on the size and shape of the office you have different options. Another reason why desks are important is because you need the right size of desk for you. If the desk is too small it may be hard to work in such a cramped space. All of the desks featured in this blog are going to be from Ikea!

The first desk I have chosen is the Expedit Desk Combination and it is designed by Tord Björklund/IKEA of Sweden. It is in the same line of items as one of the bookcases I mentioned in my second blog post all about bookcases. The Expedit Desk Combination has adjustable feet so it can stand steadily on uneven surfaces. I can take or leave this desk. I like the idea of it having a bookcase attached to it but at the same time I think it looks a little awkward. I don't think that some of the bookcase shelves are that practical either, why would you climb under the desk to take books in and out? This desk comes in white, black-brown and birch. It costs $149.99.






The next desk is called the Micke Workstation designed by Henrik Preutz.
Some positive things about this desk:
  • Cable outlets and compartment in the back keeps cords and cables out of sight but close at hand.
  • Opening in the lower back panel improves ventilation around your CPU or other computer equipment.
  • Back panel with magnetic writing board helps clears space on your desk.
  • Side panels on the top shelf keep books, CDs and DVDs in place.
  • The adjustable shelf inside the storage compartment can easily be removed to make space for a computer.
  •   The storage unit can be mounted to the right or left according to need
I think that this desk is somewhat ugly looking. I don't like the white with the other colours. I prefer something simple or with darker colours. But if you like this desk, it comes in white and orange, white and birch or black-brown and white and costs $139.99.





The third bookcase I am going to show is the Lasse Desk With Bookcase. It is designed by Henrik Preutz. This bookcase is very simple which is nice but I'm not sure if I like the bookcase attached to it. I think the bookcase attached looks odd and unnatural. Another thing I don't like about the Lasse is that it doesn't have a lot of drawers, it only has one in the middle. It does have adjustable shelves which adjust according to need which is nice though.


The last desk I am going to show you is also part of the Micke line, it is a corner desk which is nice if you don't have a lot of space and want to utilize a corner.
Some features are:
  • Top shelf with cable outlet; space efficient storage for a printer, etc
  • Cable outlets and compartment in the back keeps cords and cables out of sight but close at hand
  • Back panel with magnetic writing board helps clears space on your desk
  • Side panels on the top shelf keep books, CDs and DVDs in place.
  • The drawers hold A4 and letter size paper.
  • The legs can be mounted to the right or left according to need
Though this is very similar to the other Micke desk in this blog I like this one better because of the corner aspect of it. I still don't like the colours but this desk is probably the one that I like the best out of all of the desks featured in this blog. The Micke comes in birch and white or black-brown and white and costs $199.99.















Though none of these desks were my favourite there were things on all of them that I liked.

3 comments:

  1. I knew you'd do another Ikea post for this one! They've got great office stuff don't they! Have you seen their Effictive series??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely designed "Office Desks"..i like these design and nicely written also.. thanks for sharing this and keep posting.
    office partitioning

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely fantastic posting! Lots of useful information and inspiration, both of which we all need!Relay appreciate your work.
    fax machine

    ReplyDelete